‘Parathas’ (Indian Flat Bread) are staple breakfast in Indian homes. There are endless varieties of parathas are popular specially in North India and Punjab region. One the most popular paratha is ‘Methi Paratha’ where fenugreek or methi leaves are used in making the dough of the paratha along with other spices. I already have shared a similar Paratha recipe which is called Punjabi Methi ki Roti. This is similar to that recipe with some variation. Serve this paratha with some yogurt and pickle and you are done!
Ingredients to make 8 parathas
- Whole Wheat Flour or Atta – 300 gms
- Besan or Chickpea Flour or Gram Flour – 2-3 Tbsp
- Methi or Fenugreek Leaves – 1 Cup (Fresh-chopped)
- Onion – 1 (Small-chopped)
- Yogurt – 4-5 Tbsp
- Amchur Powder or Dry Mango Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ¼ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¾ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Chopped Green Chilli – 1 tsp
- Chopped Garlic – 1 tsp (Optional)
- Ajwain or Carrom Seed – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp + For cooking the parathas
- Salt – To taste
- Finely chop fenugreek leaves, onion and garlic.
- In a large bowl mix in all the ingredients mentioned above.
- Now knead the dough adding a little water at a time.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portion. Shape them in round balls.
- Now roll out each ball into round flat disk.
- Heat a skillet and palce one rolled out paratha on it. Now dry roast the paratha on each side.
- Drizzle some oil on paratha. Turn the paratha and add some more oil. Now fry the paratha from both side till brown spot appears on it.
- Serve with some pickle, salad and yogurt. I served it with salad and Fulkopir Malaikari (Cauliflower Cooked in Coconut Gravy)