This fish dish I try when I am in hurry and have to cook an elaborate meal for all. This fish dish needs very little time to cook and can be prepared with very few ingredients. All you need is fresh carp (rohu or katla) as fish pieces are not fried before cooking. I normally marinate the fish pieces with lime juice and turmeric to get rid of the smell of fish. If you wish you can lightly fry the fish pieces and then cook with other ingredients. This fish recipe goes very well with steamed rice only!
Ingredients to serve 4
- Rohu or Katla or Any Carp – 8 pieces
- Yogurt – 100 gms
- Kasuri Methi or Dry Fenugreek Leaves – 2 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger Paste – ½ tsp
- Garlic Paste – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp
- Mustard Oil – 2 tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Wash and marinate the fish pieces with turmeric, lemon juice and salt for 15-20 minutes. This is our first marination.
- Drain out the excess marination. Beat the yogurt very well adding salt and sugar. Now add garlic paste, ginger paste and fish pieces. Marinate again for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok. Now add half of kasuri methi. Make a quick stir.
- Now add the marinated fish with all marination. Cover and cook till the fish pieces are done. It will take around 8-10minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Crush the rest of the kasuri methi between your palms and sprinkle on the cooked fish curry. Remove from fire and let it rest for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice only.