‘Sojne Phool’ or the Flowers of Sojina (Moringa Oleifera) is one of the delicacies of Bengali cuisine. Available only for a month or so in January/February, ‘Sojne Phool’ is highly sought after recipe of Bengali home. We kept it in weekend section since plucking the flowers is a time consuming activity.
Ingredients to serve 6
- Sojne Phool – 2 cups
- Potato – 1 Big (cut into small cubes)
- Mustard Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Green Chilli – 2 (Slit)
- Poppy Seed Paste – ¾ cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1 big pinch
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 big pinch
- Salt – According to taste
- Pluck the Sojne Phool or the Moringa flowers from its stalk carefully.Make sure to remove all stalks otherwise it will add a pungent and bitter taste. Wash the flowers thoroughly and keep aside.
- In a kadai add mustard oil. Then add the potatoes and fry well.
- Now add sojne phool, turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and sugar and slitted green chillies and stir and mix for some times.
- Now cover the kadai with a lid and slow down the heat, cook for 10 minutes.
- Check in between and add little water if necessary to prevent burning at the bottom. Add poppy seed paste and mix very well. The consistency neither be too thick nor be runny. Ideally it should be cooked without adding water.
- Check seasoning when the flowers look tender and cooked well. Serve with Steamed Rice and Daal.