‘Pantheras’ or ‘Chicken Pantheras’ is yet another recipe that came into Bong kitchen due to British Colonization in India. There was a ritual of having high tea amongst British. ‘Egg Devil’, ‘Chicken Pantheras’ are some of the examples of British influence in India. There are some pocket of Anglo Indians in India where these recipes are very popular till date.
‘Pantheras’ is similar to Spring Roll of Chinese cuisine. But ingredients and technique wise both are different. I first tasted this dish at Baruah’s near Shyambazar. Here I have made some changes in the recipe that I have tasted there. I have added some vegetables with chicken to add extra flavor to the filling. This is a shallow fried or deep fried dish but to make it healthier I have baked it drizzling a little oil. It is a little elaborate recipe but trust me it’s worth spending so much time! Here goes the recipe…
Ingredients to make 10 Nos:
- For making the Chicken Stuffing:
- Chicken Keema or Minced Chicken – 300 gms
- Onion – 2 (Big-Finely Chopped)
- Capsicum – ¼ cup (Finely Chopped)
- Carrot – ¼ cup (Finely Chopped)
- Shredded Cabbage – ½ cup
- Garlic – 2 Tbsp (Finely Chopped)
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp (Finely Chopped)
- Green Chilli – 1 Tbsp (Finely Chopped)
- Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Tomato Sauce – 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar – 2 Tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
For making the crepes:
- All Purpose Flour or Maida – 10 Tbsp
- Egg – 3
- Milk – 250 ml
- Oil – 1 Tbsp + For making the crêpes
- Salt – To taste
- Baking Powder – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
- Bread Crumb – 200 gms
- Egg – 2
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Marinate the chicken keema with vinegar and little salt for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger and garlic. Sauté for few seconds. Now add chopped onion. Fry till onion turns translucent.
- Next add all chopped vegetables. Fry till they turns a little soft.
- Now add marinated chicken and salt. Mix very well. Cover and let it cook.
- While the chicken is cooking make a thick batter using all the ingredients mentioned under for making the crepe. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cover and check. By this time the chicken and vegetables must be cooked through. Add tomato sauce and black pepper powder. Sauté till the chicken becomes dry.
- Remove from heat and add chopped coriander. Let it cool completely.
- Take another flat pan. Drizzle a little oil on it.
- Now pour 1 bug ladle full of batter on it. Spread the batter to make a thin crepe.
- Cook from both sides but do not let them become crispy. Make all the crepes this way and let them cool completely.
- Now beat the eggs with a little water for making the egg wash.
- Take a crepe and place 2 Tbsp of chicken filling on one side of the crepe. Fold two sides of the crepe and then roll it over to make a nice bundle like it is made for spring roll.
- Spread the bread crumb in a plate. Roll the bundle on the bread crumb. Now dip it in the egg wash. Again roll on the bread crumb.
- Keep the finished ‘Pantheras’ on a plate for 10-15 minutes, so that they become a little stiff.
- By this time pre heat the oven at 180 C.
- Take a baking tray and drizzle some oil on it. Now arrange the ‘Pantheras’ in single layer. And drizzle some more oil on it. Place the tray on upper rack. Bake for 7-8 minutes on each side or till they become crispy on outside.
- Serve hot with green salad and tomato sauce immediately.