There are certain dishes which are all time favourite and loved by all. Chicken Tandoori is one of such kind. It is a very easy recipe but definitely takes a little time as it requires slow cooking. Else the chicken becomes very dry and hard. It is preferable to marinate overnight but if you can’t marinate overnight, marination for atleast 4-5 hours is a must. I like to keep the marination very simple and serve with onion, tomato, cucumber and lemon wedges along with some green chutney. I don’t like using artificial colour so I used only Kashmiri red chilli powder. If you wish you can add a drop or two red colour for that restaurant like red coloured chicken tandoori. Here goes the recipe…
Ingredients to serve 4
- Chicken with Bone – 1 kg 300gms
For first marination:
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 ½ Tbsp
- Ginger Paste – 2 tsp
- Onion Juice – ¼ cup
- Green Chilli Paste – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
For second marination:
- Hung Curd – 350 gms
- Coriander Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Butter – 50 gms
- Chaat Masala
- Green Chutney: Refer here
- Lemon Wedges
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces. Pat them with kitchen towel.
- Now marinate the chicken pieces with the ingredients mentioned under for first marination, for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a large bowl beat the hung curd with other ingredients mentioned under for second marination. Now put all the marinated chicken pieces in the second marination. And marinate the chicken pieces very well rubbing with your fingers.
- Cover and let it marinate atleast for 4-5 hours (I prefer overnight or 8-9 hours). Put it in refrigerator.
- Take out the bowl 1 hour before you start grilling in oven.
- Pre heat the oven at 180 C.
- Now apply some oil on the wire rack and arrange the marinated chicken pieces on single layer.
- Put it on the middle rack of the oven with the tray below as the marination will drip while cooking.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes. Now turn the chicken pieces and baste them with butter. Cook for another 15-20 minutes or till the chicken is done.
- Now put the rack on the top for 5 minutes on each side to get the charcoal grill effect. Do not forget to apply a generous amount of butter while cooking. Else the chicken will become very dry.
- Take out from oven and sprinkle some Chaat Masala on the chicken pieces. Serve hot with Green Chutney and onion, tomato, cucumber salad with lemon wedges.