Tahiri or Tahri or Tehri or Tehari is a one pot rice dish from Awadhi Cuisine. This is dish which is slow cooked and can be explained as a rice preparation between Biryani and Pulao. The main USP of this dish is, it is cooked in ‘Dum’. For more information refer here.
I first tasted this dish in Varanasi. You must all now aware that I am very much attached with that ancient city as I have spent few years there during my studies. Tehri is a rice dish mainly with vegetables and yellow in colour from Northern part of India. But I use turmeric powder less to enhance the contrast between the green peas and rive. You may add more turmeric for more colour. I normally serve this with only Mixed Raita or Onion Raita or Bundi Raita but I tastes equally good with Chicken, Mutton or any Paneer dishes by side. Try this easy yet tasty rice preparation during this winter!
Ingredients to serve 4
- Basmati Rice or any long grained rice – 200 gms
- Onion – 2 (Medium – finely sliced)
- Potato – 1 Big (Cut into long wedges)
- Cauliflower Florets – 8 (Medium sized)
- Green Peas – 1/3 cup (Fresh or Frozen)
- Green Chilli – 2 (Sliced)
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Asafetida or Hing – ¼ tsp
- Bay Leaf – 2
- Cumin Seed – ½ tsp
- Clove – 2-3
- Cinnamon Stick – 2”
- Green Cardamom – 2-3
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp
- Kewra Water – 1 tsp (optional)
- Cashew – 10-12
- Raisin – 15-16
- Ghee or Clarified Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Salt – To taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain the water after 30 minutes and keep aside.
- In a large heavy bottom pan or a kadhai, heat ghee and oil. Fry the cashew and half of the onion. Take out from oil and keep aside.
- Now temper it with whole garam masala, cumin seed and bay leaf. Once they exudes aroma add rest of the sliced onion. Fry till they turn light pink.
- Now add potatoes and cauliflower along with ginger paste, garlic paste and the dry spices except garam masala powder. Saute for 3-4 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Now add green peas and salt. Mix well.
- Next add the washed, soaked and drained rice to this and fry gently for about 2 minutes. Care should be taken not to break the grains of the rice.
- Now add hot water 1.5 times of the rice. Stir gently. Add sliced green chilli and garam masala powder.
- Cover and cook till the vegetables and rice are done. Cook in a very low heat with a tight lid covering the pot. When the rice is cooked drizzle kewra water, fried cashew, raisin and fried onion and serve hot with any Raita or any Chicken, Mutton or Indian Vegetable Curry.