Butter Chicken has gained much popularity across the globe. Paired with Butter Naan or Stuffed Kulcha is something which most Indians love during their restaurant visits. This time I’m sharing an easy Butter Chicken recipe that is made in onion, poppy seed and cashew paste gravy with a dash of cream. This is a dish that I prepare quite often when I’m in hurry!
This is my Mom’s recipe which slightly differs from the authentic Punjabi Chicken Butter Masala or Restaurant Style Chicken Butter Masala recipe. Last week I happened to prepare this and felt I should not miss sharing it here. I followed my Mom’s Butter Chicken recipe exactly including the spices and found that this chicken curry is great and it tasted unique with good flavors. You can pair this with quick dishes like Jeera Rice, Ghee Rice, Vegetable Biriyani, Vegetable Pulao, Khuska Pulao or if you don’t mind spending more time you can go with simple Chapathi (roti), Naan or Phulka. Last time I served with ‘Methi Paratha’, it tastes equally good!
Ingredients to serve 4
- Chicken – 800 gms
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Red Chillie Powder – 1 tsp
- Yogurt – 200 gms
- Onion Paste – 4 Tbsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Karuri Methi / Dry Fenugreek Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – According to taste
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Poppy Seed Paste – 2 tsp
- Char Magaj / Melon Seed Paste – 2 tsp
- Cashew Paste – 3 tsp
- Butter – 2 tsp
- Oil – 4 tsp
- Fresh Cream – 4-5 Tbsp
- Wash and pat dry chicken. Make sure there is no excess water in the chicken. Marinate with lemon juice, ½ tsp chili powder and salt. Set this aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Go ahead with the second marination. Marinate with yogurt, onion paste, ginger paste, garlic paste, kasuri methi, 1 tsp oil and garam masala. Marinate and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. The longer it is marinated; the meat turns softer and just melts in the mouth.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan, add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Sauté for a min or two till it exudes aroma.
- Add marinated chicken, chili powder (according to your taste) and salt and cover to cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Next add poppy seed paste, melon paste and cashew paste and mix well.
- When chicken is done add garam masala powder mix and simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add fresh cream. Take care not to cook longer after adding cream.
- Serve with ‘Butter Naan’ or ‘Phulkas’ or any ‘Parathas’ adding more fresh cream.