I have already shared a recipe of Tyangra Mach or cat fish with mustard paste….. ‘Shorshe Tangra’. This is yet another cat fish curry with mustard paste … ‘Tangra Macher Jhal’. Tangra Mach is my favourite fish and I love to cook different dishes with it. I already have shared more recipes with this fish like ‘Tangra Macher Rasha’ and ‘Tangra Macher Chorchori’. If you are fond of Tangra Mach like me you can always try those recipes too.
Ingredients to serve 6
- Tyangra Mach – 12 pcs
- Potato – 1 (Big-cut into thick strips)
- Mustard Paste – 3-4 tsp
- Onion – 1 (Finely chopped)
- Green Chilli – 3-4
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chillie Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – According to taste
- Chopped Coriander – A handful
- Mustard Oil – ½ cup
- Wash the fish and marinate with ½ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp salt for 10 minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a non-stick pan. When the oil is really hot slowly slide the fishes. Fry 2-3 fishes in each batch. Cover and keep the heat on medium.
- Turn each of the fishes very carefully. Fishes should be medium brown on both sides.
- In the same oil, add chopped onion. Fry till the onion becomes translucent.
- Now add the potatoes and sauté till potato becomes half done.
- Add slitted green chilli. Stir for few seconds then add ½ cup water.
- Add mustard paste and mix well.
- Add the rest of the turmeric powder and red chilli powder and salt.
- Add the fishes and more water if required and cover it to cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Switch off the gas and sprinkle chopped coriander and give it a standing time for few minutes with the lid on.
- Serve with steamed rice.