Yet another delicacy from Bong kitchen is ‘Tel Koi’ where climbing perch is cooked in spicy gravy. It is very simple recipe but tastes awesome. Just have it with a plate of steamed rice and you are done! I have already shared the recipe of ‘Fulkopi Koi’ which is a must have during winter. Though ‘Koi Mach’ o Climbing Perch is available throughout the year but it tastes better in winter. So try this spicy fish curry ‘Tel Koi’…
Ingredients to serve 4:
- Koi Mach or Climbing Perch – 4
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Ginger Paste – 1 ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ¾ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Mustard Paste – 2 tsp
- Green Chilli – 4
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – For frying the fish pieces + 2 Tbsp
- Wash the fish and smear with some salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai. Once it’s smoking hot carefully place the fish one by one. Fry till golden brown on both sides. Drain from oil and keep aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil in kadai and add ginger paste and bay leaf. Sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Now add cumin powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Sauté for few seconds.
- Now add 1 cup water. Adjust salt.
- Now add the fried fishes and mustard paste. Mix well. Cover and let it cook till fishes are done.
- Now add slit green chilli. Cover and remove from heat. Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice only.