Cauliflower is the winter staple in our home. We love all preparation with cauliflower … be it fried, stir fried, curry and most importantly fish curry. We cook this spicy fish curry with cauliflower often. If you like fish, you definitely going to like this fish curry. When the fish curry is cooked the aroma of garam masala and cauliflower fills the air. When cauliflower first appears in market we make light fish curry which I have shared earlier. Later we cook much rich version of this fish curry which I’ sharing today.
Ingredients to serve 4:
- Rohu Fish – 4 pieces (Any sweet water fish like Carp or Rohu)
- Cauliflower – 5-6 (Big florets)
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Ginger – 1”
- Garlic – 2 pod
- Onion – 1 (small)
- Tomato – ½ (Chopped)
- Onion – 1 (Small – thinly sliced)
- Green Chilli – 2
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard Oil – For frying the fish pieces + 2 Tbsp
- Wash the cauliflower under running water, cut them in to big chunks and soak in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the fish pieces and smear with salt and turmeric. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder in little water. Keep aside.
- Grind onion, tomato, ginger and garlic into a smooth paste.
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai. Once it’s smoking hot carefully place the fish pieces one by one. Fry till golden brown on both sides. Drain from oil and keep aside.
- In the same oil (if required add some more oil) add the cauliflower with little salt and turmeric powder. Fry till light golden in colour. Drain and keep aside.
- Now add bay leaf and chopped onion. Fry till oil separates.
- Now add the ground masala paste and the diluted masala powder paste. Fry till oil separates.
- Add fried cauliflower and sauté for couple of minutes.