‘Thepla’ is one kind of Indian flat bread which is from the western region of India especially of Gujarat. Many people are curious what is difference between ‘Thepla’ and ‘Paratha’. I ‘Thepla’ yogurt and besan or gram flour is used and the colour of it is mainly yellow where as in paratha all purpose flour or wheat flour is used and the colour remains white (after cooking it turns into light brown). ‘Theplas’ are soft too compared to parathas as we use yogurt in it. In a way it is a better option for your kid’s lunch box that it does not become hard. And it is better option for carrying for your journey too. Here is my way of making ‘Thepla’.
Ingredients to make 8-10 Thepal:
- Wheat Flour – 200 gms
- Besan or Gram Flour – 100 gms
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Crushed Green Chilli – ½ tsp
- Carom Seeds – ½ tsp
- Yogurt – 4-5 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Asafetida or Hing – 1 pinch
- Chopped Coriander – 3-4 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – For shallow frying
- Take a big mixing bowl and mix wheat flour and besan. Add ½ tsp salt and 2 tsp oil. Mix well.
- Now add all the ingredients one by one.
- Knead into a smooth dough adding the yogurt. If required add some water.
- Let the dough rest for some time.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal size balls.
- Roll each balls into medium size round disk like a roti.
- Heat a skillet and put one rolled thepla on it. Dry roast the theplas on both sides. Now shallow fry the theplas adding 1 tsp oil on each side.
- Serve with pickle and a hot cup of masala tea in breakfast.