‘Komola Lebu’ or ‘Komla Lebu’ (Orange) is the most common fruits during winter. Many of you must have tried different sweet dishes with this juicy fruit like ‘Kheer Komola’ or ‘Komol Bhog’ or ‘Orange Cake’ may be simple custard. But have you ever thought of cooking fish with orange juice and that to with Rui Mach or Rohu Fish? This recipe came to my mind when Baba bought a lot of oranges from market. I though why not to give it a try. So last weekend I prepared this simple fish recipe and served with ‘Peas Pulao’. It tastes equally good if you serve it with plane rice too. I hope you are going to try this recipe and let me know how it was!
Ingredients to serve 6:
- Rui Mach or Rohu Fish – 6 pcs
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato Paste – 2 Tbsp
- Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 2-3
- Garam Masala Powder – A little
- Orange Juice – ½ cup
- Mustard Oil – 6 Tbsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp (Depending on the sourness of the orange juice)
- Salt – To taste
- Wash the fish pieces and marinate them with turmeric powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Fry the fish pieces till golden on both sides. Keep aside.
- In the same kadai add ginger paste. Sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Now add tomato paste and all dry masala powders.
- Add 1 cup water. When it starts to boil add salt and sugar and fried fish pieces. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the cover add orange juice, garam masala powder and green chilli. Remove from heat and let it rest for 5-6 minutes.
- Rui Komola is ready to be served with any Vegetable Pulao or with simple steamed rice.