‘Matar Paneer’ is the most popular and easy paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) recipe from north Indian cuisine. It is very easy to cook and ready to eat kind of recipe. In this recipe both fresh and frozen peas can be used. I have used fresh peas as it is available in abundance in market. In tis recipe I use peas after blanching them in salt water. It gives the recipe very good texture. Else peas takes more time to get cooked and the colour of peas becomes difficult to retain. Serve this curry with plane steamed rice, jeera rice, rumali roti, butter naan or any types of paratha.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Paneer or Indian Cottage Cheese – 200 gms
- Fresh Green Peas – 1 cup
- Onion Paste – 4 Tbsp
- Garlic Paste – ½ tsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 tsp
- Tomato Puree – ¼ cup
- Cumin Seed – ½ tsp
- Green Chilli – 2
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin Powder – ¾ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 4 Tbsp
- Fresh Cream – 4 Tbsp
- Heat a non-stick pan adding oil. Now add the cubed panner any lightly sauté them Keep aside. If you do not want to fry the paneer simply skip this step.
- If you are using fresh peas then blanch them and keep them aside, draining the water.
- In same oil add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Next add onion paste and cook till oil separates.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste and sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Now add the frozen or blanched peas, tomato puree and all the dry masalas except garam masala.
- After 2-3 minutes add yogurt, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Add water reduce the heat to low, add the garam masala and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the fried paneer and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the garam masala powder and fresh cream. Cook for another few seconds.
- Serve hot with any Indian flat bread.