I love the rustic flavor of Punjabi Food. ‘Dal Maharani’ is such kind of dish that I always order when I visit any Punjabi food joint or Dhaba. One of specialty of Punjabi food is slow cooking and usage of a lot of dairy products like ghee, malai, butter and fresh cream. This ‘Dal’ is cooked on very slow fire for long hours traditionally. But now a day in Dhaba and restaurants follows this process. I have pre soaked the dals over night and then cooked in pressure cooker. Here I have used fresh cream but it can be substituted with malai too.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Whole Black Gram – 100 gms
- Red Kidney Beans / Rajma – 2-3 Tbsp
- Onion – ½ cup (Chopped)
- Garlic – 5-6 cloves (Crushed)
- Ginger – 1 ½” (Crushed)
- Pure Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Butter + Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry While Chilli – 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Tomato – 1 (Medium – chopped)
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Punjabi Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
- Fresh Cream – ¼ cup + for garnish
- Salt – To taste
- Fresh chopped coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Ginger – ½ tsp (Chopped)
- Soak both types of dals over night in water. Pressure-cook urad dal and rajma adding enough water. Let the pressure release of its own. Keep aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a deep non-stick kadai or wok. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf and dry red chilli and sauté for a few seconds till exudes aroma.
- Add chopped onions and crushed garlic-ginger. Sauté till oil seperates.
- Add chopped tomatoes and all dry masala powder except garam masala powder.
- Adjust salt. Mix well and cook till oil separates. Add cooked dals with all liquids. Mix well.
- Add garam masala powder and chopped coriander. Mix well and cook on low heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cream and stir to mix. Serve hot garnished with chopped ginger with any Indian flat bread.