‘Matar Dal Vada’ is another type of fritter that Maa often makes for our snack. She makes the crispiest and yummy ‘Matar Dal Vada’ I have ever tasted. It needs a little preparation. You need to soak the ‘matar dal’ or yellow split peas over night or for atleast 6 hours. Next day make a coarse paste grinding the ‘dal’ in a grinder. This ‘vadas’ tastes better if there are some ‘dals’ are found whole in the paste. These ‘vadas’ tastes better it you add some chopped onion, ginger, green chilli and coriander in the batter. Beat the batter very well and then shallow fry them till crispy golden brown. ‘Matar Dal Vada’ is ready to be served with hot cup of tea! You can also serve them as a starter with simple ‘Bhat-Dal’ (lentil soup and steamed rice). Here goes the recipe.
- 200 gms Matar Dal or Split Yellow Pea
- 1 (Medium – chopped) Onion
- 3 – 4 (Finely chopped) Green Chilli
- 1 pinch Baking Soda
- 3 – 4 tsps Chopped Coriander
- 1 tsp Ginger – (Finely chopped)
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- To taste Salt
- Oil – For shallow fry
- Soak matar dal in water for overnight. Next day drain the excess water and grind it in a coarse paste.
- Now transfer the whole paste in a big mixing bowl.
- Beat the batter very well adding baking soda. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chopped onion, ginger, coriander leaf and green chilli. Mix very well.
- Heat 4-5 Tbsp of oil in a non stick pan. Warm up the oil well. Now low down the heat and drop a little amount of batter in oil with the help of a spoon. Keep space between each ‘vada’.
- When one side of ‘vada’ becomes crisp turn the ‘vada’. Fry till crisp and golden on both sides.