‘Chaat’, perhaps the most mouth watering term in Indian food dictionary! For people who are unaware, ‘Chaat’ is not one single dish but a type of street food snack that is very famous in India. It is a mishmash of several things that have the ability to hit the entire flavor note, sweet, salty, sour and savory. It has the texture, the crunch, a combination of chutney and sour yogurt to cool off the heat.
It may look like quite a task to build a plate of ‘chaat’ and to tell you the truth, I had best ‘chaat’ during my University days from Kashi Chaat Bhandar near Lanka Gate, Varanasi. However, it’s not at all that difficult to prepare at hoem, it’s just the number of components that goes in the dish. As a result you‘ll have tasty and mouth watering chaat.
Every ‘chaat’ starts with a base. In this case, it’s the vada that I have prepared for ‘Dahi Vada’ yesterday. ‘Vadas’ are a type of lentil fritters that can be consumed as a snack of finger food or can be used as curries (Borar Jhal). This ‘Ragda Vada Chaat’ is a combination of two recipes, ‘Ragda Pattice’ or ‘Aloo Tikki Chole Chaat’ and ‘Dahi Vada’. I have used the ‘Ragda’ or ‘Ghugni’ from ‘Ragda Pattice’ recipe and the ‘Vadas’ that I have used in this ‘chaat’ is from the ‘Dahi Vada’ recipe. When you transforming it to chaat, it is so yummy and mouthwatering! Next time when you’ll make ‘Dahi Vada’ preserve some ‘vadas’ for this ‘Ragda Vada Chaat’.
For Assembling the Chaat:
- Mix together tamarind chutney, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder and little water to make it a pouring consistency.
- Beat the yogurd with little rock salt or normal salt.
- Place the vada in a bowl or a plate and pound it with your thumb lightly. Do not mash it too much.
- Pour the prepared ragda over the vadas.
- Pour the tamarind mixture over the ragda.
- Pour the curd as required.
- Sprinkle rock salt and chaat masala.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped onions and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve immediately and enjoy the yummm chaatpata Ragda Vada Chaat.