‘Hariyali Dum Aloo’ or Potato Curry with Greens is one of my favourite winter delight! I love this baby potato curry with all seasonal greens like spinach, coriander and mint. This is very easy and healthy recipe too. I’m sure some of you have fussy family members who do not like to have greens. So, it is an easy way to feed them spinach. This recipe goes very well with any kind of Roti, Paratha or Naan. I served it with ‘Mooli Paratha’. I have used baby potatoes as they are available now in market but you can cook them with regular potatoes too. You can check ‘Hariyali Murg Masala’ too if you like greens in your meal like me! Here goes the recipe of ‘Hariyali Dum Aloo’ ……
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker. Peel them. Now sprinkle turmeric powder and a little salt on them.
- Meanwhile wash the spinach leaves. Boil water in a pot and put the spinach leaves. Cover and leave for 4-5 minutes. Now take out the spinach leaves from hot water and put them in a ice cold water. This process helps in retaining the green colour of spinach. Puree the spinach leaves in a grinder.
- Puree coriander, mint and green chillies too.
- Now heat oil in a kadai or wok and fry the marinated potatoes till they turn light brown. Take out and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil add bay leaf, dry whole chilli, cumin seeds and asafetida. When they exudes aroma add chopped onion. Fry till translucent.
- Next add onion paste, ginger paste and garlic paste. Fry till raw smell goes off.
- Now add all the dry masalas (except garam masala powder), tomato puree, yogurt and fried potatoes. Sauté very well till oil appears on side of the kadai.
- Now add all green pastes. Mix very well.
- Add salt. Adjust salt. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 minutes. If required add a little water.
- But it is advised not to add water and cook on low heat.
- Remove cover. Drizzle ghee and sprinkle garam masala. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with any roti, paratha or naan. I served with ‘Mooli Paratha‘.