I have shared some poha recipes before like ‘Mix-Vegetable Poha‘, ‘Kanda Poha‘ and ‘Chirer Pulao‘ (Bengali Style Poha). ‘Poha’ is a very popular breakfast option in India. It is very healthy and same time filling too. To make it healthier I have used Oats along with vegetables and peanuts. It was an experiment though, but it came out so well! I have used seasonal vegetables but you can use only potato and onion too. Here is the recipe of Vegetable Oats Poha …
- 150 gms Flattened Rice or Beaten Rice (thick Poha)
- 50 gms Regular Oats
- ½ tsp Cumin Seed
- ½ tsp Mustard Seed
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- ¼ cup Carrot – (Finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Beans – (Finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Cauliflower
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- 1 (Medium – finely chopped) Onion
- 2 (Chopped) Green Chilies
- 1 tsp Ginger – (Chopped)
- A handful Peanuts
- 2 tsps Raisins
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Sugar
- To taste Salt
- 2 tsps Lemon Juice – (Optional)
- 2 – 3 Tbsps Oil
- Chopped Coriander
- Sev (Optional)
- Place the poha in a colander and wash well under running water. Stir the poha gently by using your fingers while rinsing; otherwise it will become mushy at the time of cooking. Sprinkle turmeric powder mix well. Keep aside.
- Steam carrot, beans, cauliflower and peas.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or a wok. Add the peanuts. Fry and keep aside.
- In the same oil splutter mustard seed and cumin seed. Add curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and ginger. Sauté over medium heat till light brown in color.
- Once the onions are tender, add the blanched vegetables. Sauté very well.
- Now add oats, raisins, fried pea nuts, salt and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Finally add rinsed poha and sprinkle little water. Turn the heat on low. Cover for 2-3 minutes. Allow the oats and poha to cook in the steam along with the vegetables.
- Remove cover and gently stir the poha. You will notice the poha has puffed up slightly.
- At this stage, turn off the heat and sprinkle lemon juice.
- Stir in the juice from one lemon and the coriander leaves. Check the salt and seasonings, and adjust to suit your taste and serve.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and sev. Serve hot!