I first tasted this chicken curry at one of my friend’s house. Aunty was a super cook and used to cook different types of cuisines. From her I first got to know about ‘Goda Masla’, which is essential for this particular dish. Since it is not available in Kolkata, (atleast I do not know where to find), I made the ‘Goda Masala’ of my own. I used the spices that are used to make the ‘Goda Masala’. Along with the spices I roasted grated coconut, ginger and garlic and ground it in a smooth paste. You can roast the dry masalas and wet ingredients separately. I have used some shallots in this curry. Traditionally it is not used but I like the flavour of shallots. So I have used the whole shallots in the curry. You can discard using them. Though there are a lot of ingredients required to cook this recipe but it a very easy to cook Chicken Curry. Serve it with steamed rice or any ghee rice and you are done!
For Ground Masala:
- Wash the chicken pieces and marinate the pieces with the ingredients mentioned under for marination. Cover and leave it for atleast 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan to prepare the ground masala. Add all the spices like fennel, coriander, cumin, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves, mace, nutmeg, star anise, sesame seeds, poppy seed, mustard seed, fenugreek seed, garlic cloves, ginger, grated coconut and roast for a few minutes. Transfer it to a grinder.
- Add 2 tsp oil in pan and fry the onion till they become translucent. Then transfer to the same grinder. Grind it into a smooth paste. Take out from the grinder and keep aside.
- Separately grind the tomatoes and make a smooth puree. Keep aside.
- Now for final cooking heat 3 Tbsp of oil in a kadai or wok and add the curry leaves. When they start to splutter add marinated chicken pieces. Sauté for few minutes just to seal the juices.
- Next add the ground masala and mix well. Sauté till oil separates.
- Now pour the pureed tomato paste into the pot and let it cook for 5-6 minutes over medium heat.
- Adjust salt and add chilli powder and garam masala powder. Add ½ – ¾ cup water, shallots and cover. Let it cook till chicken is done on medium low heat. Else you can transfer the whole into pressure cooker and cook till 1 whistle and then simmer for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release of its own.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves. Serve with steamed rice or any ghee rice. I served it with prawn ghee rice.