You must have understood that I am fond of Prawns. I love to cook prawns in many ways. One of my favourite recipe is ‘Chingri Paturi’ which I often cook. Of course if I could manage to but banana leaf. I like to use the prawns with head as it gives more taste. But you can use prawns without head too. I put some yogurt in this recipe as it keeps the prawns moist. But traditionally it is not used. And I use some red chilli powder as I like my ‘Chingri paturi’ a little hot!
Some cook ‘Chingri Paturi’ directly on iron skillet or tava but I steam the parcels for some time and then roast the parcels on tava applying very little oil for some time just to get the smokey flavour of banana leaf. This is the way I prepare ‘Chingri Paturi’ …
Ingredients to serve 4:
- Soak poppy seeds in luke warm water for 15-20 minutes.
- Make a smooth paste grinding together poppy seed, mustard seed, grated coconut and green chilli in a grinder.
- Wash and clean prawns nicely and marinate them with lemon juice and little salt for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes rinse the prawns.
- In a mixing bowl put the prawns. Add the mustard-poppy seed-coconut paste. Add yogurt, chilli powder, salt, mustard oil. Mix well. Cover and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cut the banana leaf into 8” X 8” pieces.
- Put 2 Tbsp full of the marinated fish with the marination on the middle of the banana leaf. Put one chilli each in every packet. While steaming the fish green chilli will give a nice aroma.
- Now fold the banana leaf from four sides. Tie the packets with cotton thread from both the sides.
- Now steam the packets using a steamer or double boiler for 5 minutes on each side.
- Heat a non stick pan that has a lid. Brush some mustard oil all over. Place the packets on the pan and cover the lid. When you get a sizzling sound carefully turn the packets and cook the other side. Apply a little more oil if possible. When the banana leaf turns brown, Chingri Paturi is ready.
- Serve this Prawn Paturi after cutting the thread and serving it directly on the plate along with some hot steamed rice.
~ In order to make the banana leaf fold able, hold it over direct flame for a while or soak them in warm water for few minutes, so that you can easily fold it. Otherwise it will be brittle.