I really don’t know where to start! I’m sooooo happy and excited! Finally I successfully prepared ‘Chanar Malpua’ or ‘Chhenna Malpua’ of my own! Though saw my Mom making this several time before! ‘Malpua’ is one of the popular Indian sweet and probably, one of the easiest desserts to prepare in ease. These are like sweet mini pancakes, fried until golden brown and then dipped in sugar syrup. Sometimes it is served topping with thickened milk called ‘Rabri’. This time I prepared the ‘Malpuas’ using ‘Chhenna’ with other ingredients. Using ‘Chhenna’ makes it much more softer in texture. I have shared other recipes of ‘Malpua’ before (Khirer Malpua, Tal-er Malpua, Gur-er Malpua) but it is the easiest way of making malpua.
- In a large mixing bowl take chhena, flour, cardamom powder, and baking soda. Knead very well to form smooth dough. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the sugar syrup. In a big pan add sugar, cardamom pods (lightly pound before adding) and water. Bring it to a boil. The syrup shouldn’t be too watery or too sticky.
- Now heat 3-4 Tbsp oil in a kadai or pan for frying the malpuas.
- Add milk to the dough to form a thick batter. Mix very well. Adjust the consistency by adding milk or flour. The consistency should be of thick yet flowey.
- Take a ladle full of batter and slowly pour on the middle of the pan. Once you get a sizzling sound put the heat on low. Fry until golden brown on one side. Now turn the other side. And fry till golden brown on other side too.
- Once done, dip it immediately in the hot syrup and allow to soak in the sugar syrup for a while.
- Once all the malpuas are soaked and become a little soft, take out from sugar syrup, arrange them on serving plate or store them in a separate container or pot.
~Do not put the lid on of the container in which you are storing the malpua till it is warm.
~ Warm up the malpuas in a microwave as malpuas tastes better when it is warm.