‘Chicken Korma’ is a rich tomato, coconut milk and cream based chicken curry. Yes, it is not a everyday chicken curry and to be prepared and served on special occasions. It was my father’s birthday on Saturday and we had a sumptuous dinner on that day and a lunch on the next day. I made two types of naan (Kasuri Methi Naan and Tilwale Whole Wheat Naan), Chicken Tit-Bit and Harabhara Keema Aloo for dinner and Bengali Style Vegetable Pulao and Chicken Korma with Beetroot Raita on Lunch. And no birthday celebration is complete without ‘Payesh’ (Rice Pudding) so I made Nolen (Khejur) Gur-er Payesh too. Will be sharing all the recipes soon…
- 500 gms Chicken – (With bones-curry cut)
- 3 (Medium – thinly sliced) Onion
- 1 ½ tsps Grarlic Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 2 (Big – pureed) Tomato
- 2 – 3 (Optional-slitted) Green Chilli
- 3 Tbsps Yogurt
- ½ cup Coconut Milk – (Thick)
- 2 – 3 tsps Fresh Cream
- ½ tsp Shahi Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 3 – 4 Green Cardamom
- 2” Cinnamon Stick
- 3 – 4 Clove
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- To taste Salt
- 2 – 3 Tbsps Oil
- 1 tsp Ghee
- A handful Chopped Coriander
- Wash and clean the chicken pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan. Fry a little sliced onion till crisp and brown. Take out from oil and keep aside.
- In the same oil add ghee and temper it with all whole spices.
- Add the rest of the chopped onion. When it turns pink add ginger paste and garlic paste. Fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add the chicken pieces. Mix and sauté very well.
- When oil starts separating add tomato puree. Mix well. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add all the dry masalas, sugar and salt. Mix very well. Cover and cook on low heat till chicken pieces are done.
- Beat the yogurt very well. Remove the cover and add yogurt, coconut milk. Mix, cover and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the cover add the fresh cream. Mix again.
- Transfer to the serving bowl. Garnish with chopper coriander and fried onion.
- Serve with Vegetable Pulao or any roti, paratha or naan.
~ I use homemade Shahi Garam Masala. For that I use black cardamom, green cardamom, clove, cinnamon, mace and nutmeg.
~ If you wish you can add few drops of Keora Water too. I personally avoid using it when I’m cooking Chicken Korma but use in Mutton Korma.