This is a very simple Bengali Style Vegetable Pulao that we prepare very often at our place. Normally I prefer to cook this pulao or pilaf during winter as fresh peas and carrot are available in abundance during winter. You can add beans too if you wish to. This ‘pulao’ is a little sweet as we Bengalis prefer ‘pulao’ to be a little sweet. You may discard adding paneer too but I love paneer so I always add in my pulao. ‘Gobindobhog Rice’ is a kind of aromatic rice available in West Bengal. You can use any aromatic rice for this preparation. Try this ‘pulao’ with any Veg or Non Veg preparation of your choice.
Ingredients to serve 4
- Wash the rice and drain water. Keep aside.
- Blanch the vegetables and peas.
- Heat oil in pan. Lightly fry the cubed paneer. Keep aside.
- In the same oil add bay leaf, dry whole masala and onion. Fry till onions become translucent.
- Add in the blanched vegetables. Stir for few minutes.
- Next add cashew and raisins.
- Now add soaked rice. Sauté till the rice grains become a little long and white in colour. It will take around 3-4 minutes.
- Now add water a little more just to cover the rice.
- Add sugar and green chilli. Adjust salt.
- Cover and cook till the rice is done.
- Remove the cover and drizzle ghee. Mix very well.
- Now add the fried paneer pieces. Remove from heat. Mix, cover and let it rest for 2-3 minutes. Serve with any Chicken, Mutton or Fish preparation.