‘Panch Foran Mach’ is a quick and easy recipe that I cook often whenever I get fresh small fish in market. The freshly roasted and ground powder masala goes very well with this fresh fish. The fish curry is very light and you can get a very distinct fresh flavour in this curry. You can always add ‘kanch kola’ or plantain in this curry. But I like it simple only with thick potato wedges, brinjal and some ‘vadis’. Yes for this recipe ‘vadi’ is a must ingredient. Try this light fish curry on lunch or dinner with steamed rice by side only.
- Marinate the fish pieces with ½ tsp turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside.
- Dry roast 1 tsp panch foran and dry whole red chilli and grind it into a fine powder.
- Cut the brinjal into four pieces. Peel the potato and cut it into four pieces lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a wok or kadai. Shallow fry fish pieces and keep aside.
- Add potato pieces and fry till they turns golden. Drain from oil and keep aside. Same way fry the brinjal and ‘vadis’ too.
- Now add 1 tsp oil in kadai if required and temper the oil with panch foran and green chillies.
- Add fried vegetables and vadis. Add dry masalas including the roasted panch foran powder too. Sauté for few minutes.
- Add water and salt just to cover the vegetables.
- Put in the fried fish pieces, cover and cook till potatoes are done.
- Serve with steamed rice only.