Nothing much to be said about this curry. This is not a traditional recipe but sometimes instead of making any potato curry (Aloor Dum) or ‘Cholar Dal’ we prepare this simple ‘curry-dal’. It goes ery well with any fried breads (Luchi, Chatur Kochuri, Koraishutir Kochuri, Dalpuri or Radhaballavi). Last time I prepared this to accompany Hing er Radhaballavi. Here is the recipe ….
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper the oil with cumin seeds, bay leaf, dry whole chilli and green green chilli.
- Now add the washed potato cubes. Add ginger paste. Sauté well.
- Next add chopped tomato and cook till tomatoes mashed up and oil separates.
- Add dry masalas one by one. Mix well.
- Wash chana dal and add in the kadai. Sauté well.
- Add sugar. Adjust salt.
- Now pour in water just to cover the potatoes.
- Transfer it to a pressure cooker and cook till first whistle and then simmer for 6-7 minutes. Let the pressure release of its own.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander. Cholar Dal dea Aloor Torkari is ready to be served with Hing er Radhaballavi.