Chilli Chicken is the most popular dish in any Chinese or multi cuisine restaurant in India, which has probably very less similarity with any Cantonese cuisine. Chilli Paneer is a modified vegetarian version of Chilli Chicken. I cook this recipe two ways. Sometimes I deep fry the paneer in cornflour-flour batter and then dip them in gravy or sometimes when in hurry cook it the way mentioned below. I often cook them at home and serve with steamed rice or sometimes with hand toasted roti made of flour. Yes that is why I was telling that this dish hardly has any connection with Chinese cuisine except the fact that the ingredients that are been used are common Chinese ingredients …
For making Gravy:
- Marinate the paneer cubes with salt, black pepper and cornflour. Now shallow fry them and keep aside. Don’t fry it for long time as it will become hard and chewy. Take out from oil and keep aside.
- Once cubes turn golden, place them in a plate and keep aside.
- Now in the same pan ddd chopped ginger and garlic. Sauté until raw smell goes off.
- Next add onion, green chilies and cubed capsicum. Sauté for few seconds on high flame.
- Now add vinegar, soy sauce, chilli sauce, tomato sauce and mix well.
- Next add fried paneer cubes and mix well. Sprinkle Pepper powder and adjust salt.
- Dissolve the cornflour in half cup water and add it to the pan.
- Mix and stir quickly until you get a shiny texture.
- Garnish Chilli Paneer with chopped spring onion and chopped green chilli. Serve hot with fried rice or plane roti made or flour as I did.