‘Aloo Tikki Chole Chaat’ is a popular street food of North India. ‘Aloo Tikki’ is spiced potato patties, whereas ‘Chole’ is a spicy and hot North Indian chickpea curry. The first time I had ‘Aloo Tikki Chole Chaat’ was at a shop at New Market, more precisely beside New Empire Cinema Hall during my college days, when we used to watch movies on regular basis with friends. My college was near Rabindra Sadan and Nandan was our hang out place since there were no Shopping Malls at that time. So New Market, Sriram Arcade and Treasure Island were our most favourite shopping destinations. Sometimes when I visit New Market still love to have Chole – Bhature, Samosa-Chana Chaat and Aloo Tikki Chole Chaat from that narrow untidy food joint, sitting on wooden bench on foot path. I couldn’t believe what I was eating when I first tasted it. It was soooo good!
Usually when I make Chole or Ghugni, I always make some extra. So the next day we can have the Chole with Aloo Tikkis or Ragda Pattis. So when I had made the Punjabi Chole Masala, I served the Chole next day with the Aloo Tikki. I made plain tikkis and much smaller in size. The Tikkis by themselves were so good and with the Punjabi Chole Masala, it was a double dose of deliciousness. Now these ‘aloo tikkis’ can also be served as a snack with some sauce or chutney. They also can be stuffed in burgers.
For aloo tikki:
- 2 cups Boiled Potato
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin and Red Chilli Powder
- 2 Tbsps Finely Chopped Onion
- ½ tsp Finely Chopped Ginger
- ½ tsp Aamchur or Dry Mango Powder
- ½ tsp Chaat Masala
- To taste Salt
- Refer Chole recipe here
For garnishing and serving:
- Chopped Onions
- Chopped Coriander
- Yogurt – Beaten with salt
- Green Chutney (Mint-coriander-green chilli chutney)
- Sweet Chutney (Tamarind-date chutney)
- Chaat Masala – As required
- Salt – As required
- Roasted Cumin and Red Chilli Powder
- Lemon Juice
- Chopped Green Chilli
- Sev – As required
- Mash the boiled poatato. Add all the ingredients mentioned under for making aloo tikki.
- Divide the dough into small balls. Make medium sized patties from the potato mixture.
- Shallow fry or pan fry till the patties are brown and crisp on both sides.
- Arrange patties in a plate. Top it with chole masala.
- Garnish with all ingredients mentioned under for serving.
- Serve Aloo Tikki Chole Chaat immediately.