Fish Fry was once the most favourite entrée dish in Bengali menu for any Bengali marriage function. Where bhetki (barramundi) fish was marinated then dipped in egg wash and coated in bread crumb and deep fried in mustard oil. Later this Fish Fry was replaced with Fish Batter Fry or Fish Orly. Where marinated fish is dipped in flour-egg batter and deep fried in oil. It is normally served with tomato ketchup and green salad in marriage function but ideally it should be served with potato fries and tartar sauce. I have tried and tested many recipes for this crispy layer. Finally it is the recipe which gives a nice brown crispy layer, I’m sharing today. I have used ‘Bhetki’ fish here you can use any other white fish. It is ideal to be served as entrée to any party. Try to use fresh fish fillet rather frozen one. There was some leftover batter. So I made some onion rings too. And those were loved by all too. Here goes the recipe of crispy Fish Batter Fry ….
- Marinate the fish fillets with ginger paste, garlic paste, chilli-coriander paste, lemon juice, ½ tsp black pepper powder for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- In a mixing bowl mix in flour, corn flour, pepper powder, salt, baking soda and 1 egg.
- Mix well Now add chilled water a little at a time to make a smooth thick batter.
- Heat oil in the kadai or deep frying pan. Once you can see smoke leaving the kadai – drop a small amount of batter in oil. If it comes up on the top then the oil is ready to fry the fish.
- Now deep the fish fillets in the batter. Batter should coat the fish properly on both sides. Do not over crowd. Fry 1 or 2 battered fish fillets at a time.
- Fry till both the sides are fried brown and crispy. Once brown – remove and keep on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot with tartar sauce and green salad.