Cauliflower is the winter staple in our home. We love all preparation with cauliflower … be it fried, stir fried, curry and most importantly fish curry. We cook this light fish curry with cauliflower and potato quite often. If you like fish, you definitely going to like this fish curry. When the fish curry is cooked the aroma of cumin, garam masala and cauliflower fills the air. When cauliflower first appears in market we make this curry quite often in our home! Later we cook much rich version of this fish curry which I’ll definitely share later.
- Peel the potato and cut into big chunks. Wash the cauliflower under running water, cut them in to big chunks and soak in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash the fish pieces and smear with salt and turmeric. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix cumin powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder in little water. Keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadhai. Once it’s smoking hot carefully place the fish pieces one by one. Fry till golden brown on both sides. Drain from oil and keep aside.
- In the same oil (if required add some more oil) add the cauliflower and potato pieces with little salt and turmeric powder. Fry till light golden in colour. Drain and keep aside.
- Now add cumin seeds, bay leaf. Once the cumin seeds start to splutter add ginger paste and chopped tomatoes. Sauté for few seconds and then add the diluted spice mix. While adding the ginger and spices keep the heat on low. Sauté for few more minutes.
- Add fried cauliflower and potato. Adjust salt. Fry on medium-low heat till oil appears on side of the pan.
- Now add water to cover the vegetables. Cook till the vegetables are almost done.
- Add fried fish pieces, green chilli and garam masala powder. Cover and cook till all vegetables are completely done.
- Serve hot with steamed rice only.