Another fish that we often cook at our place during winter is ‘Bhetki’ or Barramundi. Few days back Baba bought a whole fish and brought fish fillet for Fish Fry. But this time I made Fish Batter Fry …. It was awesome! Since Baba bought the whole fish the fish head and the bones were also there. So I thought of cooking ‘KaNta Chorchori’ with it. You are well aware what ‘Chorchori’ is because I already have shared some ‘Chorchori’ recipe before. Fish bones are called ‘KaNta’ in Bengali. This mix-vegetable mishmash is cooked with fish head and bones and that is why it is called Bhetki Macher KaNta Chorchori’. You can cook this curry with other fish head too.
- Clean the fish head and bones and marinate with little salt and ½ tsp turmeric powder for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat half of the oil in a kadai or frying pan. Carefully place the fish head and bones and fry them with the lid on. If required fry them in batches. Remove from oil and keep aside.
- Now add the cubed brinjal in kadai sprinkling some turmeric powder and salt. Remove from oil and keep aside.
- Now temper the oil with panchforan and dry red chilli. When they start to splutter add chopped onion and fry till translucent.
- Next add ginger paste and garlic paste.
- Now add potato. Saute well.
- Add chopped flat beans and cabbage.
- To this add all the spice powder, sugar and salt. Mix very well. Cover and let the juices from the vegetables come out. Keep the fire low.
- After 7-8 minutes add the fried fish head and bones and mix well. Add a little water cover and cook till the vegetables are done.
- Add fried brinjal and garam masala powder. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Cook till all water dries out. Serve with steamed rice and any dal.