Kasuri Methi Murg or Kasuri Methi Chicken is dry fenugreek leaf flavored chicken curry. Normally I cook chicken curry with fresh fenugreek leaves (Methi Saag) in winter when it is freshly available in market and with dry fenugreek leaves or Kasuri Methi in other season. Though both the curries tastes different with usage of different spices. I like both the curries and both these curries goes very well with Rumali Roti or Butter Naan. This curry is very easy to cook and requires very basic ingredients and masalas and tastes heaven. I always prefer to cook these types of curries when I’m in hurry. Try this tasty yet easy chicken curry for any day lunch or dinner ……
- Clean the chicken pieces and marinate with yogurt, turmeric powder and little salt for atleast 1 hour.
- Heat oil and 1 tsp ghee in a deep bottomed pan or kadai. Temper the oil with methi seeds. Let it brown and infuse aroma. Take out all the seeds from oil with help of a ladle or spatula. Methi has a mild bitter taste so I prefer discarding the methi seeds.
- Again temper the oil with bay leaf, dry whole chilli, cinnamon, green cardamom, clove. When they start exude aroma add sliced onion. Sauté till onion turns pink.
- Next add ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté till raw smell goes off.
- Next add the marinated chicken but do not add the excess marinade. Sauté very well.
- Now add all the dry masalas except garam masala and 2 Tbsp of kasuri methi. Crush the kasuri methi between your palms before adding. Mix very well.
- Add sugar and adjust salt.
- Add the excess marinade. Cover and cook on low fire. I do not add water to this curry. The chicken is cooked in its own juice and yogurt. Stir in between for couple of time.
- When chicken is cooked add 1 tsp oil, garam masala powder and 1 Tbsp kasuri methi (crush kasuri methi between your palms before adding). Cover and let the curry rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Kasuri Methi Murg goes best with Rumali Roti or tandori roti or Butter Naan.