I love to cook or bake with the seasonal fruits and vegetables. With winter come apples and oranges in abundance. Like others I’m also baking some desserts using apple. I already have shared a recipe of Apple Cinnamon Cake. Today I’ll be sharing Coffee Flavoured Apple Cinnamon Cake with Crumb Topping. When we talk about winter another thing that comes into our mind is coffee. So I have used some instant coffee powder in the batter and to flavour the apples the classic combination cinnamon. Now for crumb topping I have used demerara sugar as when baked it gives very nice crunchy texture. If you do not have you may use regular sugar but taste varies. When baked nice aroma of coffee, cinnamon, almond, demerara sugar and butter fills up our home and everybody wait to have a bite of it. Here is the recipe …..
- 2 (Medium Sized – Chopped) Apples
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 Pinch Salt
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 200 gms All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 ½ tsps Baking powder
- 1 ½ tsps Instant Coffee Powder
- 100 gms Sugar
- 50 gms Brown sugar
- 150 gms Butter
- 3 Tbsp Yogurt
- 3 Egg
- 4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 25 gms Butter
- A handful Almonds
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 4 Tbsp Demerara Sugar
- For caramelizing the apples:
Chop the apples into small pieces. I have used the apples with the skin if you wish you can peel the skin.
- In a non-stick pan melt 1 Tbsp of butter. Now add the chopped apples in the pan and stir for a couple of minutes or till the apples turn light golden.
- Now sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon powder and salt. Mix well. Sauté for few minutes till the sugar melts and nicely coat the apples.
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
- Preparing the cake batter:
Preheat the oven to 200 C. Grease the baking pan. I have used 8” X 8” baking pan.
- In a large bowl sieve together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl mix in butter, sugar and brown sugar.
- To this add eggs. Mix very well.
- Now add the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Mix in the yogurt.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in a little warm water. Add this to the cake batter.
- Pour this batter into the baking pan. Tap the baking pan lightly to remove air pockets if any.
- Now spread the caramelized apples on top of this cake batter evenly.
- For preparing the crumb:
In a bowl mix in flour, demerara sugar and cinnamon powder. Now to this add butter. Lightly mix butter with the dry ingredients. You should take care that the butter should not get melted.
- Crush the almond. Mix half of the crushed almonds to this mixture.
- Now sprinkle this mixture evenly on the layer of caramelized apple.
- Sprinkle rest of the crushed almond.
- Place this baking dish into the oven and bake at 200 C for 30-35 minutes and later 180 C for 15-20 minutes of till a knife of toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool for some time and serve with coffee or tea.