We all love to have something special on weekend dinner. And if it is Chicken Roast then nothing like it. But as far as classic roasting recipe of chicken goes, it’s all pretty hands off. Rub it with a little oil or butter and sprinkle it with salt and pepper, then pop it in the oven for an hour. But instead of following the classic of roasting i.e. roasting a whole bird using salt, pepper, butter and herbs I thought why not to give it a twist which would satisfy our taste bud and different at the same time.
Chicken is a must-eat during Chinese New Year. Whole chicken is especially auspicious and it’s prepared for prayers to the ancestors in traditional Chinese homes. My roast chicken is the kind you would not probably get at Chinatown or any other Cantonese restaurants. There are certain techniques and secret ingredients involved to get to the desired taste and texture. I marinated the chicken for one and half hours, and then roasted it. The best part of the roast chicken is the juice seeping out during the roasting process, drizzle the juice on steamed rice … it tastes awesome!
Bengalis have a strong liking towards Chinese food that too improvised version which hardly may have resemblance with actual Chinese cuisine. I cannot comment on ‘Real’ Chinese cuisine as I never got opportunity to taste them. To make the roast more convenient instead of using whole chicken I have used portions of it. I have served it with plane rice. You can serve this with light fried rice or may be with dinner roll / buns too! Food is all about innovation and comfort after all.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients other than the chicken and the salt together and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Pat dry the chicken pieces so that there is no excess water. Pierce the chicken all over with a fork. Put in all chicken pieces into the marinade. Keep aside for at least one hour. Keep in mind that all the pieces should be covered with the marinade. Half way through the marinating time, turn the chicken pieces over.
- Preheat over at 180 degree centigrade.
- Place the chicken pieces evenly on a baking dish in a single layer and pour all the marinade over it (As per photograph).
- Place in the baking dish on the middle rack of the oven and roast at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- After 20-25 minutes take out the baking dish and turn over the pieces and cook for another 20-25 minutes.
- Next place the baking dish on top rack and increase the temperature to 200 degrees and grill for 5-10 minutes to get a hard texture on the top. If you prefer to have your roast soft you may avoid this step.
- Take it out of the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes covering the baking dish.
- Serve with a simple fried rice or just plain rice of may be with dinner roll/Bread and some more vinegar soaked chilies perhaps.