‘Chatur Kochuri’ or ‘Sattu Kachori’ is one of the popular breakfast options in eastern and northern part of India. ‘Kochuri’ is a stuffed fried bread where the stuffing is made with a mixture of roasted gram flour and other spices. Crispy golden fried breads with mildly sweet-n-spicy stuffing accompanying with spicy flavoured potato curry is just heaven.
This Indian fried bread and curry doesn’t need much preparation or expensive ingredients. With a few ingredients this can be made very easily. Try this ‘Chatur Kochuri’ and ‘Hing dea Aloor Torkari’ on weekend breakfast.
For Chatur Kochuri:
For Potato Curry:
- For making Chatur Kochuri: In a large mixing bowl mix in flour, ½ tsp salt and 5 Tbsp of oil. Now knead the dough adding a little water at a time. Knead very well. Cover the dough and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in another mixing bowl mix chatu, sugar, roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and 1 tsp oil. Adjust salt. Knead the filling adding a little water and make a hard dough.
- After 30 minutes divide the flour dough into 22-25 lemon size ball. In the same way divide the filling too.
- Now with the help of a rolling pin roll the flour dough balls into small disk.
- Put the filling at the centre and cover it with the dough.
- Now roll the dough again into small disk (approx 4” diameter).
- Make all the ‘Kochuris’ like this.
- Heat oil in a deep bottomed vessel or kadai.
- Slide the rolled Kochuri carefully in the oil. Let the Kochuri puff up then turn down the heat and turn the Kochuri. Let them be golden brown on both the side.
- Again increase the heat and slide Kochuri in oil. In this way fry all the Kochuries controlling the heat.
- Hing dea Aloor Torkari: Peel the potatoes and cut them in small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Temper the oil with nigella seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida and green chilli.
- Now add the washed potato cubes. Add ginger paste. Sauté well.
- Add dry masalas one by one. Mix well.
- Adjust salt.
- Now pour in water just to cover the potatoes.
- Cover and cook till the potatoes are done.
- Hing dea Aloor Torkari is ready to be served with Chatur Kochuri.