Chicken Rezala is one of my favourite chicken dishes that I often cook. It is easy to cook and you need not to spend hours in kitchen for the tiring process of frying onion for cooking any chicken or mutton dishes. Last week I cooked it on the occasion of ‘Bhai Phonta’ with Basanti Pulao and Tilwale Naan. And it gave me immense satisfaction that all the dishes were appreciated by all. Very few ingredients are required for cooking this dish. Adding cashew paste or fresh cream is optional. But you have to use ghee for this recipe. Traditionally this recipe been cooked in ghee only but I use half-half i.e. oil and ghee. Hope you like my way of cooking Chicken Rezala…
- Clean the chicken pieces and marinate with yogurt and ½ Tbsp garlic paste for 2-3 hours. Boil the onions and then grind them into very smooth paste.
- Once you are ready to cook heat the oil in a non stick pan or kadai. Lightly fry the chicken pieces discarding the yogurt.
- Add ghee to the same pan. Add the whole spices like bay leaf, red chilli, black peppercorn, black cardamom, green cardamom, cinnamon and clove.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste. Fry till raw smell goes off.
- Now add boiled onion paste. Stir for 10-15 seconds and add the sautéed chicken pieces. Mix very well.
- Now add coriander powder, white pepper powder and salt. Mix again.
- Next add the yogurt in which the chicken pieces been marinated. Add sugar and mix well.
- Now transfer the whole thing in a pressure cooker till first whistle (add water if required) and then simmer for 7-8 minutes. Let the pressure release of its own.
- Remove cover and add garam masala powder, nutmeg powder, keora water, fresh cream. Mix it one more time.
- Your Chicken Rezala is ready to be served with Butter Naan, Tilwale Naan or Rumali Roti.
~ Use fresh and thick yogurt for best result.
~ You can substitute white pepper powder with black pepper powder. There would not be much difference in taste only the colour of the curry will be changed slightly.