‘Chicken Kosha or Kasha’ is another family favourite of ours. This is an easy chicken curry that can be cooked with very commonly used ingredients. All you need is a little patience as the secret of this recipe is sautéing chicken with mustard oil and the spices in a very low heat without adding any water. Adding potato is completely optional. I added potato as we Bengalis always prefer potato with chicken or mutton curry. This chicken curry goes very well with any Indian flat breads and not with rice dishes. Here goes the recipe of Chicken Kosha ……
- Wash the chicken pieces and pat dry them with kitchen towel. Now marinate the chicken pieces with ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder and 2-3 tsp of mustard oil for 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile thinly slice the onions. Peel and cut the potatoes in big chunks.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok and shallow fry the potato pieces. Remove from oil and keep aside. Adding potato is completely optional.
- Add ghee in the oil. Now add the dry whole masalas. When they start to exude aroma add sliced onion. Fry the onion till translucent.
- Next add garlic paste, ginger paste and onion paste. Fry the masala till oil separates.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces and mix very well. Sauté for another 4-5 minutes. Stir continuously.
- Next add all the dry masalas except garam masala. Again sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add beaten yogurt and fried potato. Mix very well. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir in between.
- Chicken Kasha is cooked in slow fire without adding any water. Since we are adding potato, we need to add a little water for cooking the potatoes. Add ½ cup warm water and cover the wok.
- Cook till the chicken pieces and potatoes get cooked.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and chopped coriander. Serve with Paratha or Roti.