Many of you following my blog for sometime would know that I enjoy Indian Chinese food immensely. I haven’t posted any Indian Chinese recipes in a while and was going through the archives when I realised that I had not blogged a popular Indian Chinese dish, Vegetable Manchurian. It is prepared almost on the same lines as Gobi Manchurian except that we use finely chopped mixed vegetables instead of Gobi (Cauliflower).
Well I can understand your craze, after all every Indian is fanatical for Indo-Chinese food. Chinese food in India is in Indian style but with Chinese spices. We use black pepper, chilli sauce, soy sauce, vinegar but make it super spicy according to our taste. No matter what, everyone loves indo-Chinese food in India. Just say, let’s eat Chinese today and see the person’s face all lighten up-that’s what Chinese meal does to Indians. So here is a very popular Indo-Chinese recipe, Vegetable Manchurian in my style.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed pan or kadai.
- In a bowl, combine maida/flour, cornflour, baking powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, chopped green chilli, pepper powder, soy sauce, salt and all the finely chopped vegetables. Sprinkle little water or 1 egg to make a thick mixture. Add water little by little and use only as much water as required forming small balls.
- Carefully place each ball into the hot oil. Do not crowd the vessel. Reduce flame and deep fry the vegetable balls till cooked. Increase the flame towards the end of the cooking process and fry till they turn golden brown. Remove onto absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a large wok and once the oil is piping hot, add the chopped garlic and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the green chillis and ginger and stir fry on high for a few seconds.
- Add the whites of spring onions, onions and capsicum pieces and stir fry on high for 2 minutes, constantly tossing them.
- Add the sugar, soya sauce, tomato ketchup, chilli sauce, black pepper powder and vinegar. Mix well add ¼ cup of water and cook for 1 minute.
- Mix 1 Tbsp of cornflour in a little water. Keep aside.
- Add the cornflour water slowly and keep stirring till it takes a thick gravy like consistency. Cook for 1-2 mins. Turn off heat.
- Add the fried balls to the gravy at the time of serving. Garnish with chopped spring onion greens and/or coriander leaves.
Just before serving, put the Vegetable Manchurian Balls in the sauce and stir on high heat for few minutes. Garnish with spring onion leaves.