Today is ‘Maha Sasthi’. Durga Puja starts from today with ‘Kola Bou Snan’. From today onward for five days Puja of Goddess Durga will be continued. The city of Kolkata changes completely in these days. Lights, music, colourful pandal and more over food stalls are everywhere in the city. Festival and food are synonymous. And when it comes to biggest Bengali Festival sweets are must. Sharing very simple recipe of ‘Chocolate Sandesh’…. Subho Mahasasthi !
- Grind the sugar in a grinder.
- Melt the chocolate with milk in microwave.
- To start with squeeze all water from ‘chenna’. Now start kneading the ‘chenna’. You need to knead the ‘chenna’ really well. I usually do it with hand, using the fingers & the heel & the middle of my palms but you can use a food processor too. Knead evenly for about 5-7 minutes. Add sugar and knead for another 4-5 minutes. By this time the ‘chenna’ should be very smooth & not grainy at all. You will feel the fat from the cheese glisten on your palms & the cheese itself.
- Take a thick bottomed kadai or non stick pan & put the entire chenna mix in the pan. Keep the heat low. Spread out the chenna & cook it on low heat, while constantly stirring with a spatula in a circular movement so it does not stick at the bottom of pan. This should be done for about 5-6 minutes.
- Now add milk powder and dissolved chocolate-milk. Mix again till all dries up and start to release from the sides. This particular procedure is called ‘Paak’.
- Now grease a plate with some ghee and transfer the entire mix on it. Let it cool for couple of minutes. Then divide the dough into 10-12 equal small balls.
- Shape them in round or with the help of a ‘chanch’ or mould shape them according to your wish.
- Refrigerate ‘Chocolate Sandesh’ for 15-30 minutes and serve! Happy Pujo !!!