This is one of my favorite dishes Baked Vegetables in White Sauce and Cheese recipe! Unique, healthy, yum, cheesy and delicious worth trying! Had loads of veggies in fridge and I wanted to make something healthy so made Baked Vegetables in White Sauce and Cheese. Just one dish with loads of veggies along with any dinner roll and we had a sumptuous dinner.
Somehow I have fallen in love with mushrooms. Mushrooms give a nice flavor and value to food. You would be surprised this is the first time I used mushrooms. Now I am addicted towards them. Bought another packet of them will put them to use soon in a different recipe. Cheese has endless varieties when it comes to baking. You could use right from plain cheese, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, processed cheese, parmesan cheese, blue cheese etc. I mostly use cheese cubes, cheese slices, which is easily available in market. I love to prepare this dish with any cheese, I am sure you will love too!
- 2 Potatoes – medium (cut into small cubes)
- ½ cup Carrot – (cut into small cubes)
- ½ cup Beans – (cut into small cubes)
- ½ cup Cauliflower – (cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup Broccoli – (cut into small cubes)
- ¼ cup Spring Onion – (cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup Capsicum – (cut into small cubes)
- 1 cup Onion – (sliced)
- 3 tsps Garlic – (chopped)
- 4 – 5 tsps Coriander leaves – (chopped)
- 6 – 8 (Sliced) Button Mushroom
- ½ cup Cheese – (Grated)
- To taste Salt
- 1 ½ tsps Black Pepper Powder
- 2 Tbsps Oil
- 2 cups Water
For White Sauce:
- 3 Tbsps Butter
- 3 Tbsps Flour – (Heaped)
- 1 cup Milk
- In a large pot put 2 cups of water and 1 tsp salt. Bring it to boil. Now put in potato, carrot, beans and cauliflower. Per boil the vegetables. Keep the vegetable stock separately.
- In another pan heat the oil. Add garlic, onion, capsicum and spring onion. Stir for 3-4 mins. Now add the sliced mushroom. Fry until the water from the mushrooms dries. Lastly add the broccoli.
- Now mix in the boiled vegetables.
- Meanwhile take a wide bottomed saucepan. Add butter and place on low heat, add flour. Stir for couple of minutes till flower changes colour to light brown. Start adding the milk slowly and stir continuously.
- Also add salt and pepper. Soon it will start thickening. Switch off the gas and add all vegetables.
- Add half of the grated cheese.
- At this stage while mixing the vegetables if you find that it is difficult to mix you can add a little vegetable stock.
- Take a baking dish and pour the whole mixture into it. Top it with grated cheese.
- Preheat oven at 180°C for 5 mins before baking. Bake at 180°C for 10 to 15 mins or until nice brown on top and baked.
- Serve hot with dinner roll or bread toast.