I love any type of legumes in my every day meal. A bowl of ‘Dal’ in my meal keeps me happy. While my favorite is the Red Masoor Dal I rotate my legumes to take advantage of all. ‘Matar Dal’ or Split Peas are the dried peeled and split seeds of whole peas and they come in yellow and green varieties. They have been mechanically split so that they will cook faster. They are very different from the Indian Toor/Arhar Dal or Chana Dal though they look similar.
Though this ‘dal’ is relatively common in Bengal, and my Maa make this ‘dal’ with vegetables mostly in winters as the vegetables used here are easily available in winter only. I have used baby potato, sweet potato, sweet red radish, flat beans, carrots… it could be replaced with regular potato, pumpkin and seeds of jackfruit also. Trust me that is equally tasty …will share later in my blog too.
This recipe is from my Maa –Thakuma (grandmother) and we thoroughly enjoyed this heartwarming ‘dal’ with steamed rice or roti as well…
- Wash and cook 1 cup of Yellow Split Peas in the pressure cooker with all the vegetables adding 1 pinch of turmeric, sugar and salt.
- Cook 5 minutes at full pressure then in lower heat for about 5-7 minutes. You can also cook in a pot, only it will take more time.
- After the pressure gets released pour the boiled ‘dal’ in the serving pot.
- In a pan heat 2 tsp of mustard oil. Temper with 1 tsp of whole cumin seeds/jeera, 1 cracked dry red chilli. After the jeera starts crackling pour it on the ‘dal’ and cover the pot for few minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice or roti.
~ Instead of Mustard Oil, Ghee or Clarified Butter can also be used.