This dish is simply called ‘Pohe’ or ‘Poha’. It can be made with variations like ‘Kanda Poha’ (Onion Poha), ‘Batata Poha’ (Potato Poha), with both onion and potato – ‘Onion Potato Poha’ and many other variations. But I like to cook it with carrot, green beans, onion and potato so I call it Mix-Veg Poha. It is quite a regular breakfast recipe in my home. It’s a quick, easy and healthy dish to make, a popular breakfast recipe of Maharashtra.
This is a light breakfast which is easy and quick to prepare. This recipe is made in white poha or white flattened rice (‘chire’ in Bengali). I already have shared another Bengali ‘poha’ recipe i.e. ‘Chirer Polao’. That is a Bengali version of this recipe which is slight sweet on taste.
Wash the ‘poha’ thoroughly under running water and soak them in water for 5-10 minutes. I usually rinse the ‘poha’ in a strainer or colander under running water and don’t soak them in water. Rinsing the ‘poha’ grains softens them easily. You can also add boiled peas and garnish it with grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- 1 ½ cups Poha or Flattened Rice Parched rice – (Thick variety)
- 1 (Medium – cut into thin strips) Potato
- 1 (Medium – finely chopped) Onion
- 1 (Medium – cut into thin strips) Carrot
- 6 – 7 (Finely chopped) French Beans
- 1 – 2 (Finely chopped) Green Chilli
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves or Kadi Patta
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Tbsps Roasted Peanuts
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsps Grated Fresh Coconut – (Optional for garnishing)
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Coriander – (Optional for garnishing)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice – or as required
- 3 Tbsps Oil
- To taste Salt
- Use a strainer or collander to rinse the poha. Keep the poha in the strainer and rinse it in running water. Rinse the poha in clean running water twice or thrice. Make sure that you do not rinse it too much or else it breaks and gets mushy. While rinsing, the poha absorbs enough water and it becomes soft. The poha must become soft but remain intact, whole and separate.
- Heat up 2 Tbsp of oil in a pan and add 2 Tbsp peanuts. Fry them and keep them aside. I have used peanuts without the husk/skin, you can use with skin too.
- In the same pan add the sliced potatoes. Stir occasionally. When the potatoes are almost done add chopped onion. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add chopped carrot and beans. If you are using peas then blanch it and then add with the vegetables to fry.
- Add salt and turmeric powder. Cook till the vegetables are not cooked through. Keep the vegetables separately.
- Now in another pan add 1 Tbsp oil. To this add mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they start crackling add chopped green chilli. Sauté for few seconds.
- Now add the soaked poha. Add salt and sugar and mix very well. After few seconds add the fried vegetables and fried peanuts. Mix very well.
- Remove from heat. Add lemon juice. Mix and cover it for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer it to a serving plate and garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander.
- Serve in breakfast with hot tea!