All the chicken lovers must be happy to see yet another chicken post and all the chicken haters will be like, “oh no, here she is with a chicken recipe AGAIN”. I’m sorry guys, I post so many chicken recipes because I make them very often at home…… ‘Hariyali Murgh Masala’ – a delicious green chicken curry made in Indian style.
But today’s recipe is all about the greens. Chicken and lots of green herbs joined hands together to create this amazing flavor packed curry named ‘Hariyali Murgh Masala’. ‘Hariyali’ means greenery in Hindi. This curry gets this name as lots of nutrient rich herbs like coriander and mint leaves are added to this.Chicken is cooked in spices and freshly ground green masala. Very flavorful and delicious gravy that pairs well with rice or any Indian bread.
Most Asian countries have their own version of this green chicken curry, while Indian recipe calls for more hot and spicy ingredients. ‘Hariyali Murgh Masala’ has a great aroma of spices, coriander and mint. It is just finger licking good and is gentle to the stomach. I am so happy that I found this recipe, because it is so easy to prepare this. The flavor comes from the herbs, green chilli, lots of garlic and ginger.
- 800 gms Chicken – (cut into medium pieces)
- 200 gms Yogurt
- 1 cup Onion – (sliced)
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- ½ cup Chopped Mint Leaves
- 5 – 6 Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Bay leaf
- 3 – 4 Tbsps Oil
- To taste Salt
- Wash and clean chicken pieces. Marinate the chicken in yogurt for 30 minutes.
- Grind together the coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chilli and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based kadai or pan and add bay leaf.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste and fry till the raw smell of garlic goes off.
- Next add sliced onion and fry till it becomes translucent.
- Now add all the dry maslas except garam masala and fry for couple of minutes.
- Next add marinated chicken and mix very well. Lower the heat and cook till chicken is tender and fat separates. Chicken and yogurt will start releasing water and you need not to add water to cook the chicken.
- Add the green paste (coriander+mint+green chilli). Mix well.
- Add garam masala powder. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot with parathas or romali roti or tandori roti.
~ In case the chicken cooks before fat separated, lift the pieces and keep aside and cook the rest of the mixture till fat separates. Add the chicken pieces later.