It is not that I like to have raw papaya, but I eat as it is very good for your health. The enzyme present in raw papaya is very good for our health. I have already shared another recipe with raw papaya … ‘Kancha Peper Dalna‘. This recipe of ‘Peper Dom’, I learnt from my aunt whom I call ‘Fulkakima’. Once when we were having discussion on Bengali vegetarian recipes, she told me about this recipe. Some days back I tried this recipe and it was just awesome! Goodness about this recipe is it is cooked with very little oil, cooked with very little spices and very easy to cook. Since Durga Puja is approaching I thought of sharing this light curry to balance with rich and high calorie food during this festive season. Here goes the recipe of Peper Dom…..
- Peel the skin of raw papaya and deseed it. Now cut it into bite size big cubes. Wash and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil. Temper the oil with asafetida and panch foran.
- Now add ginger paste. Stir for few seconds.
- Next add papaya, salt and sugar. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water to cover the papaya. Add green chilli and cover and cook till 1 whistle. Now simmer and cook for another 5-7 minutes on low heat.
- Remove from heat and let the pressure release of its own.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and drizzle few drops of ghee. Serve with steamed rice.