‘Sojne Ful’ is used in making different dishes in different in part of India, it tastes somewhat similar to wild mushrooms. This Bengali recipe is made with coconut and mustard paste. It is a known fact that Drumstick Blossoms or Moringa oleifera (Bengali Sojina or Sojne) is a wonder plant. All Parts of this plant including leaves, flowers and fruits are edible and an excellent source of protein, vitamin, calcium, potassium and antioxidants without being heavy on fats or calories.
It is slightly bitter in taste than its fruit. I generally cook any bitter dish with combination of sweet vegetables. The recipe that I am sharing today is called ‘Sojne Fuler Ghonto’. This is my own recipe that I have adapted to suit my taste buds.
- Cut all the vegetables in almost equal size.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan. Fry the ‘Vadi’ and keep them aside.
- Add some more oil and then add panch foran, fry till it exudes aroma.
- Add potato and fry well.
- Next add flat beans, brinjal, pumpkin, radish and sauté.
- Add chopped spinach and then the sojne flower, mix and fry well.
- Then add the coconut paste, mustard paste, green chilli paste, turmeric powder and cumin powder.
- Add salt and sugar. Cook it in the pan with the lid on. Cook till all the vegetables are done. Crush the ‘Vadi’ and sprinkle them on the mishmash before serving.
- Serve hot with dal and steamed rice.