This ‘Dubki Wale Dahi Baingan’ (Eggplant Curry with Yogurt) is a variation of our famous ‘Begun Basanti’ or ‘Basanti Begun’ (Eggplant in Yogurt-Mustard Sauce). Normally ehhplant curry is cooked either with mustard seed or nigella seed tempering. But I wanted to give a different flavour, so I tempered the oil with ‘panch foran’ and ‘hing’. Since Navratri is coming so I was thinking to post some no onion – no garlic recipe. When I searched my photo folder I found these photographs are there which I forgot to post in my blog. It is the ideal time to share this recipe too. So here is the recipe of ‘Dubki Wale Dahi Baingan’ ……
- Marinate the eggplant pieces with ½ tsp of turmeric powder and a little salt. Keep aside for 15 minutes. Heat oil in a nonstick pan and shallow fry the eggplant pieces and keep aside. You can deep fry as well.
- In the same oil crackle some panch foran or Bengal five spices. Add asafetida. When you get the aroma of asafetida add ginger paste. Sauté well.
- Add melon seed paste and poppy seed paste and sauté it for some time. Next add ½ cup of water.
- Whisk yogurt adding a little water and 1 tsp sugar. Now add it to the kadai with turmeric powder, cumin powder and green chilli paste. Adjust salt. Cover it and cook the sauce for 4 to 5 minutes or till the raw smell of spices and yogurt goes off.
- Add garam masala powder and adjust salt.
- Next add the fried eggplants and green chillies. Let them boil in the gravy for 30 seconds.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve with roti or steamed rice.
~ Do not add yogurt on high heat, it will curdle.