I never get bored over cooking ‘Ghugni’, be it ‘Manhser Ghugni’, ‘Narkel dea Niramish Ghugni’ or this simple ‘Ghugni’. I love to have with ‘Luchi’, ‘Masala Aloo Poori’, ‘Paratha’, ‘Roti’ or even as snack. Last Sunday I cooked ‘Ghugni’ for our breakfast with some ‘Masala Aloo Poori’. It was just awesome! You can discard using onion to make it a vegetarian version. I’ll share that version too sometimes later. The caramelized flavor of onion enhances the taste of ‘Ghugni’ very much.
- Boil soaked yellow peas with little salt with enough water in a pressure cooker. Do not over-cook.
- Heat oil in a kadai or wok and fry the potato pieces till golden. Keep aside.
- Splutter cumin seeds in same oil. Add bay leaf, whole garam masala and red whole chilli. Sauté for few seconds. Once they are aromatic chopped onion and fry till light brown.
- Next add onion paste, ginger paste, garlic paste (optional) and chopped tomato. Cook until raw smell goes off and oil starts to appear on sides.
- Now add all the dray masala except garam masala. Add 3-4 tsp of water and sauté again till oil separates.
- Next add fried potatoes and boiled peas.
- Add sugar. Adjust salt. If required add a little water. The consistency would be neither too thick nor too runny. Simmer and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garam masala powder and ghee (optional).
- Serve hot with chopped onion and chopped coriander leaves.