‘Bhaja Moshla Mach’ or Fish Curry with Roasted Spices is a regular fish curry with a little twist. I have used some roasted masala powder to enhance the aroma of the curry. This is a very light curry ideal for summer days with steamed rice. I have cooked the dish with small Rohu Fish weight around 600 grams but you can cook with ‘Paka Mach’ (bigger fish) too. The basic recipe I got from Debasree Saha of one of food group though I have made some addition and alteration to her recipe. If you are looking for some different fish curry do try this ‘Bhaja Moshla Mach’ …..
- Marinate the fish pieces with ½ tsp of turmeric powder and some salt for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 4 pieces each lengthwise. Wash and keep aside.
- Dry roast 1 tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp coriander seeds, green cardamom and cinnamon till aromatic. Then grind them in semi course powder.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and shallow fry the fish pieces. Drain from oil and keep aside.
- Add oil if required then temper the oil with cumin seeds and bay leaf. Next add ginger paste and fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add fried potato pieces, turmeric powder and roasted masala powder. Sauté till oil separates.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt. Cover and cook till potatoes are almost done.
- Now add the fried fish pieces and green chillies. Cook for another 2-3 minutes without cover in medium heat.
- Serve with hot steamed rice.
~ I have used small Rohu Fish of around 600 gms weight. You can cook with any size of fish.
~ Add water according to you requirement of gravy.