This is one of my favourite forms of potato, though I hate eating potato! It’s quick as well as super healthy! It’s a modified version of a recipe that I saw in a cookery show in television! What a brilliant way to cook potatoes! Sauteing the potatoes with regular Indian spices like cumin, coriander, red chilli and a traditional tempering with asafetida and seasoning of roasted sesame seeds and a dash of lemon juice or chaat masala and aamchur and you are ready. You can have it as a snack, as a salad, as a side dish! It’s versatile, easy to prepare and yummy! Enjoy the ‘Tilwale Chatpata Aloo’ hot and fresh to enjoy the crispness of the roasted sesame seeds.
- Boil, peel and cut the potatoes in small cubes. Do not overcook the potatoes else this dish will become lumpy.
- Take a non stick pan or kadai. Dry roast the sesame deeds till they turn light golden in colour. Keep them aside.
- In the same pan dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds and red chillie. Roast till it exudes aroma. Let it cool for sometime then grind it in coarse powder.
- Now in a bowl mix this powder masala, aamchur powder and salt with boiled cubed potato.
- In the same pan add 2 tsp of oil. Add asafetida. Now add this potato mixture. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add roasted sesame seeds. Mix well so that they coat the potatoes well.
- Transfer it into a serving dish. Garnish with chopped coriander and chaat masala.
- Tilwala Chatpata Aloo is ready to be served as a snack, started or can be served as side dish with roti/chapatti.