‘Bhindi’ is one vegetable that is loved by all in our family other than ‘potol’ (pointed gourd). Most of the recipes cooked with ‘Bhindi’ are dry or semi dry. I also usually make ‘Chatpata Bhindi Masala’ or ‘Shorshe Dharosh’ or ‘Dharosh Posto’, which all are dry or semi dry curry. I have had ‘Bhindi Masala Gravy’ in restaurants when I used to stay in Varanasi during my University days. But never tried this recipe at home! That recipe was quite different as there was abundance of cream and cashew paste.
But I cooked with very basic ingredients and masalas. Normally ‘Bhindi’ is available in market during summer. Now you can find very good quality ‘bhindi’ in market. If you want to try something different with ‘Bhindi’ try this ‘Bhindi Masala with Gravy’. It goes very well with handmade ‘roti’ or ‘phulka’. Even it tastes good with steamed rice as well.
- Wash bhindi and pat dry with kitchen towel. Cut the head of it and make a slit of about 1”. I kept the bhndis whole as they were very tender and small in size.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a kadai or pan. Add bhindi and sauté them on a low flame. Stir and sauté them till they are almost cooked. Keep them aside.
- In the same kadai or pan, add 2 Tbsp oil. Add chopped onions and sauté till the onions turns light brown.
- Next add ginger paste and tomato paste. Sauté till oil separates.
- Next add all masala powders. Add a little water and fry the masala.
- Whisk the yogurt with a little salt and pinch of sugar. Mix well.
- Add about ¾ cup water and stir very well. Let the gravy come to a boil.
- Adjust salt and fried bhindi.
- Add sugar and garam masala powder. Mix well. Cover and cook for few minutes.
- Add crushed kasuri methi. Serve Bhindi Masala with Gravy with roti or steamed rice. r