It was my Mom’s birthday couple of days before, so I was planning to bake a simple cake for her. She doesn’t like to have any cake with frosting. It has to be simple and not with complex flavor. It was in my mind that the cake has to be moist but not too much sweet. So I decided to make this simple Apple Cinnamon Cake. This cake is layered with fresh apple and brown sugar and flavoured with vanilla and cinnamon. It is ideal to have with a cup of Darjeeling Tea!
- Peel the apple and chop into small pieces.
- Pre heat the oven at 180 C.
- Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric beater until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla essence.
- Combine flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Add this flour mixture gradually into creamed butter mixture. Mix milk into batter until smooth.
- Grease a baking dish of loaf pan with a butter paper at the bottom. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Now add half the chopped apple on the batter evenly. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon powder and brown sugar.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer. Top with remaining apples, remaining cinnamon powder. Now top this layer with demerara sugar. If you cannot find demerara sugar, you can substitute with brown sugar.
- Lightly pat the baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven at 180 C until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. It takes about 40-45 minutes.